The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous Notice

Steven P

Good Morning,

Based on the thread posted in the advanced discussion forum, I ( as moderator) ruled that a motion from committee to have our by laws committee merge 2 of our standing committees constituted previous notice.

Our by laws have the requirements for notice and voting thresholds but as that was a change from our custom, there was some disagreement among the assembly.

I put allowed the assembly to vote on the parlimentary ruling and it passed overwhelmingly.

The question is, even though the specific motion that will come from our by laws committee will be slightly different in appearance (the will present the applicable "add these duties to committee B, delete committe A") the scope of the motion will not change; does this constitute previous notice?

I assume you are referring to this recent thread:

http://robertsrules....tion-unamended/

DId you carefully read Mr. Gerber's post #5 in that thread, and the citation he gave (RONR 11th ed. p. 581, lines 24-34) ? You will see that the answer to your question depends in part on the exact requirements in your bylaws regarding notice of bylaws amendments.

Good day, Trina:

I am indeed refering to that thread. Our bylaws do not specify if a motion to amend the bylaws that does not come from our bylaws committee must be specific. In the case above, a motion from another committee was made to merge two of our committees.

I'm just trying to get some feedback as I did read and reread Mr. Gerber's post and just wanted to know what some of the other parlimentarians think.

'If the bylaws require only previous notice of an amendment without limitation of the period within which it must be acted upon, and a committee is appointed to revise the bylaws and report at a specified meeting, the appointing action is all the notice required, and the amendments can be immediately acted upon at the time the committee reports. But if it is required that the amendment itself, or "notice of such amendment," be submitted at the previous regular meeting, the revision cannot be taken up until the meeting following the meeting at which the committee submitted its report.' (the p. 581 citation)

As you see, the exact requirements in your bylaws are part of the answer to your question.

Archived