The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition of a Session

nalleyk

I am the president of a Youth Football League. We are trying to change a few rules but are not sure if we are following the procedure correctly. Our rules state that rule change proposals are to be submitted from the January to March meeting and are voted on in the April Meeting. We have a new proposal that a team would like to have taken under consideration. Can it be introduced under Article X!, Paragraph 63 based on the argument that we are still in session on this topic?

I believe you are citing from the online version of Robert's Rules -- that is the 1915 edition, which is in the public domain. Unless that edition is actually your current parliamentary authority, relying on what it says is likely to be unproductive.

As for the substance of your question, it seems unlikely that your monthly meetings constitute an ongoing session, without the organization being clearly aware of that fact.

I don't have time to go see what Paragraph 63 says at the moment, or whether it corresponds to rules still in force in the current (11th) edition -- someone may come along to address that more specifically.

Three monthly meetings as provided by our bylaws.

A session is "...a meeting or series of connected meetings devoted to a single order of business..." (RONR 11th Ed. p. 82 ll. 6-9) Once your January meeting adjourns, that session is over. The next one begins and (likely) ends with the February meeting. So you're not still "in session".

If your rules say that any changes to the rules must be submitted at either the January, February, or March meeting, then unless your March meeting takes place in the next three days, it would seem it's too late. At least, that's my best guess, based on what you've provided.

Archived