The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to count "number of votes cast" for ballot for election of multiple officers

Guest Mary Alice Rose

Guest Mary Alice Rose

My organization is trying to figure out how to fill out the teller's report for a ballot in which there are multiple officers being voted for on a single slip of paper. Each ballot is a slip of paper with three blank lines, one for each of three board members to be elected. Let's say that there are 100 people voting, and that all 100 people do in fact vote and fill every blank according to proper procedure (i.e., no illegal votes). Once the ballots are counted, should the teller's report indicate that there were 300 votes cast with 51 votes needed to elect, or that there were 100 votes cast with 51 votes needed to elect? Or something else? In other words, is a completed ballot (with three blanks filled in) counted as one vote or three votes?

My organization is trying to figure out how to fill out the teller's report for a ballot in which there are multiple officers being voted for on a single slip of paper. Each ballot is a slip of paper with three blank lines, one for each of three board members to be elected. Let's say that there are 100 people voting, and that all 100 people do in fact vote and fill every blank according to proper procedure (i.e., no illegal votes). Once the ballots are counted, should the teller's report indicate that there were 300 votes cast with 51 votes needed to elect, or that there were 100 votes cast with 51 votes needed to elect? Or something else? In other words, is a completed ballot (with three blanks filled in) counted as one vote or three votes?

The report should indicate that there were 100 votes cast, with 51 needed for election.

Archived