The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When can I move for a recount?

Guest Learning

Can a motion for a recount be made after the chair of the tellers committee has read his report, or is it necessary to wait for the chair to re-read the report and declare the results?

If the infraction is serious enough, it's never too soon and never too late. A few more details might be helpful.

If the infraction is serious enough, it's never too soon and never too late. A few more details might be helpful.

It was a general question. RONR doesn't specifically say and I thought perhaps immediately after the tellers reported was too soon.

It is necessary to wait until the chair has announced the result.

I was thinking that a point of order could be raised if, for example, non-members were seen to be voting, but I guess that's not the same as requesting a recount (for which there'd logically have to be an official count to redo).

I was thinking that a point of order could be raised if, for example, non-members were seen to be voting, but I guess that's not the same as requesting a recount (for which there'd logically have to be an official count to redo).

Even a point of order needs to wait until the chair has announced the result of the vote.

Even a point of order needs to wait until the chair has announced the result of the vote.

Thanks. In the back of my mind (and how far back that is is a mystery but I suspect the distance is only increasing) I understood that voting can't be interrupted but, in the case of a ballot vote with the polls being open for minutes (if not longer), it would seem that one would want to call attention to the fact that a non-member is casting a ballot at the time it's occurring. After the fact, clear and convincing proof may be harder to come by. No?

Thanks. In the back of my mind (and how far back that is is a mystery but I suspect the distance is only increasing) I understood that voting can't be interrupted but, in the case of a ballot vote with the polls being open for minutes (if not longer), it would seem that one would want to call attention to the fact that a non-member is casting a ballot at the time it's occurring. After the fact, clear and convincing proof may be harder to come by. No?

P. 408 l. 28ff may hold an answer for you.

P. 408 l. 28ff may hold an answer for you.

Thanks. After going over the 10th Edition with a fine-toothed comb over the past ten years, I think I may have assumed that simply buying the 11th Edition was enough. Looks like I'm going to have to actually read it. But I guess that what summers at the beach were made for. Not that I'll be anywhere near a beach this summer.

That said, the lines cited about time limits seem to focus on when it's too late, not when it's too soon.

Well, for starters, why not say something to the tellers? It's their job to begin with.

Thanks. After going over the 10th Edition with a fine-toothed comb over the past ten years, I think I may have assumed that simply buying the 11th Edition was enough. Looks like I'm going to have to actually read it. But I guess that what summers at the beach were made for. Not that I'll be anywhere near a beach this summer.

That said, the lines cited about time limits seem to focus on when it's too late, not when it's too soon.

Read lines 29-30 on page 408 again. Then read lines 9-14 on that same page again. Then read page 250, line 30, to page 251, line 1, again. Then read ...., oh, never mind. :)

Well, for starters, why not say something to the tellers? It's their job to begin with.

I guess I was getting hung up on procedure and going through the proper channels (i.e. addressing all remarks to the chair). Of course it makes much more sense to simply point out to the tellers that the last five people who voted weren't members. Though, if they've read The Right Book, they might tell me to wait until the vote is announced and then address my concerns to the chair.

Though, if they've read The Right Book, they might tell me to wait until the vote is announced and then address my concerns to the chair.

I would expect so. Perhaps your only hope in this regard is that (a) someone else saw the non-members vote and will be your second for your Appeal to the chair's ruling your Point of Order not well taken, or (b ) that all the members present vote, resulting in too many ballots in the box.

Archived