The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsider

Guest Tg

An organization's executive board was scheduled to meet for three days. Business was completed

at the end of the second day and the meeting yaws adjourned. There was unrest about a decision and prior to the start of church service the next morning, a member moved to reconsider the decision made the previous evening, A quorum was present and the motion to reconsider was adopted. The new motion was also adopted.

Was it in order to allow the motion to Reconsider after the meeting was adjourned the night before?

The whole spontaneous meeting was probably improper, unless your bylaws (uncharacterstically) allow a meeting to be called in this impromptu manner. The fact that a quorum's worth of members was present does not matter. The meeting was adjourned (the night before). You can't resurrect it.

Trina,

From what I understand of the original post, this was a session of three days, and on the second day the second meeting was adjourned, not necessarily the session. If that's the case, the motion to Reconsider the vote on the motion adopted at the previous day's meeting was in order.

Trina,

From what I understand of the original post, this was a session of three days, and on the second day the second meeting was adjourned, not necessarily the session. If that's the case, the motion to Reconsider the vote on the motion adopted at the previous day's meeting was in order.

It sounded to me as though the session was effectively adjourned, since the poster stated that 'business was completed' as a prelude to the statement about adjournment. If you are correct that the session was not adjourned, then you're correct, of course, about the reconsideration.

I wonder if the organization clearly makes this distinction between 'meeting' and 'session', or whether they may be using different terms internally.

Trina,

We could certainly use a few more facts, but it doesn't sound to me like the meeting on the third day was actually called to order though. Even if there was a "scheduled" three-day session, the fact that enough members gathered for a separate purpose (church service, so as to constitute a quorum, they can't just start making motions and voting without that third meeting being properly called to order, can they?

We could certainly use a few more facts, but it doesn't sound to me like the meeting on the third day was actually called to order though. Even if there was a "scheduled" three-day session, the fact that enough members gathered for a separate purpose (church service, so as to constitute a quorum, they can't just start making motions and voting without that third meeting being properly called to order, can they?

To provide a complete answer, more facts are needed from the original poster.

Until then, we can just speculate... and, no, the motion to Reconsider cannot be made outside a meeting. :)

Archived