The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments to motions which require a special resolution

Guest Peter Howes

The housing community where I live has By-Laws which can be amended by special resolution (2/3 majority). When motions for a change to those By-Laws are being debated, an amendment is proposed and debated. Can that amendment be changed by and ordinary resolution (simple majority)? That is, if passed would now be debated and then moved as an amended motion requiring the 2/3 majority to pass.

The housing community where I live has By-Laws which can be amended by special resolution (2/3 majority). When motions for a change to those By-Laws are being debated, an amendment is proposed and debated. Can that amendment be changed by and ordinary resolution (simple majority)? That is, if passed would now be debated and then moved as an amended motion requiring the 2/3 majority to pass.

The subsidiary motion to amend a pending motion to amend the bylaws requires only a majority vote for its adoption. If it is adopted, the proposed amendment to the bylaws, as amended, still requires (in your case) a two-thirds vote for its adoption.

I'm not totally sure this answers your question. If not, come back again.

Archived