The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President of Board resigns

Guest Jay Smith

President of Board resigned. I am current and only vice president. Bylws do not start succession but state we are to follow Roberts Rules of Order. Since I am the only vice president, do I suceed to president or is there a special vote that need sto take place? The annual election of officers is in October so I am acting president until the election, correct? Also, is the newly resigned president the immediate past president siince he resigned, or is the woman who is now the immediate past president in her position until October upon the election

Since I am the only vice president, do I suceed to president or is there a special vote that need to take place? The annual election of officers is in October so I am acting president until the election, correct? Also, is the newly resigned president the immediate past president siince he resigned, or is the woman who is now the immediate past president in her position until October upon the election

Congratulations! You became the president (not just "acting") the moment the former president's resignation was formally accepted. And there's now a vacancy in the office of vice-president which needs to be filled.

As for who is the immediate past president, RONR doesn't say but I'd say it's whoever was president just before the current one. It matters not whether he resigned, moved out of town, or was kicked out for stealing from the club's bank account,he's still the immediate past president. Which is one reason was many of us here think it's a bad idea to give the immediate past president any "automatic" (i.e. ex-officio) status.

Archived