The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Study group appointed by chairman pro temp one yr. ago.

Guest Phil Shaver

Please do not assume there are any other governing documents, no municipal codes or anything by another name. The only directions are those posted Roberts Rules of Order. You all want to assume something which is not there. It is only about applying RRO. There is nothing more to understand or know. Why is this so hard for you? What do you need to know? What straight dope do you need to know? I am mistified. There is no more. A city council appointed commission with its committees or alias groups, this commission operates under Roberts Rules.

Mr Shaver, if the group is not a committee, then Robert's Rules does not have the answer to your question. If it is a committee, then p. 502 -3 answers your question, or is as good as any, unless the commission wants to direct the group/committee to report sooner than the commission's September dissolution.

Mr. Moderator, please lock this thread.

2 tries

O Great Steaming Cobnuts. Mr. MOderator, kindly disregard my intemperate request (post, heaven help us, 27).

-- Phil, how do you know you have committee makeovers in September -- "a new chairman and a change in membership" (post #15)? It's not in RONR.

-- What makes you think the chairman has the authority to establish a group and name its members (post #9)? P. 495 doesn't give it to him, nor anything else in RONR. (p. 495 is one of five methods -- and it is the assembly that chooses the method, not the chairman.)

-- What is the job of the commission, in the first place? Whatever it is -- it doesn't get it from RONR.

Etc., etc.

2 tries

No by-laws at all.

It is a City Commission. Created by a city resolution. For better or worse. We are told " all commission meetings shall be conducted using Roberts Rules of Order", nothing more. No by laws, no other directives.

Please do not assume there are any other governing documents, no municipal codes or anything by another name. The only directions are those posted Roberts Rules of Order. You all want to assume something which is not there. It is only about applying RRO. There is nothing more to understand or know. Why is this so hard for you? What do you need to know? What straight dope do you need to know? I am mistified. There is no more. A city council appointed commission with its committees or alias groups, this commission operates under Roberts Rules.

One reason it is 'so hard' is that the application of the rules in RONR to your situation seems tenuous at best. You have no bylaws. You actually have no adopted parliamentary authority. Saying that all of your meetings shall be conducted according to Robert's Rules is not the same thing as saying that all of the rules in RONR apply to your group. Do all of RONR's rules about committees apply? I don't think it's clear at all that they apply, since a lot of the rules about committees have nothing to do with how your commission conducts its meetings.

You can certainly try to convince other members of the commission that the language on pp. 502-503 is persuasive, even if not authoritative.

Is there controversy about the fate of the study group? I mean, whom are you trying to persuade? (you sound frustrated with the responses on this forum, but, in the end, we are not members of the assembly)

If, as you say in post #20 and in post #5, the commission 'starts over' in September, and if the present commissioners are persuaded that p. 502 ll. 29-35 applies, then the report (if any) of the 'study group' had better be received before September. In post #11 you suggest:

I believe it is proper at the time the commission changes to have the group submit a report and start over with a new committee if circumstances support the need.

If you go by p. 502, the quasi-special-committee will already have expired when the new commission comes in... so, they can no longer submit a report at the first meeting of the new commission (I see that Mr. Tesser has already pointed this out, toward the end of post #21).

Archived