The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Breach of a Constitution

Guest woody

G'day, I am a secretary of a sub branch and attended a State General Meeting. A motion was made to form a new sub branch with no committee and with no voting rites but under the administration of the State secretary , this is in breach of the Constitution which states

that " a sub branch must have a management committee" this was pointed out from the floor but the President continued with the motion, it was voted upon with a vote of 7-5 for the motion (why delegates agreed I do not know). Also when the minutes for the meeting were sent out, the minutes read that the sub branch be formed with full voting rites. Therefore the motion is incorrect and so are the minutes.

What can I do.

Thanks

G'day, I am a secretary of a sub branch and attended a State General Meeting. A motion was made to form a new sub branch with no committee and with no voting rites but under the administration of the State secretary , this is in breach of the Constitution which states

that " a sub branch must have a management committee" this was pointed out from the floor but the President continued with the motion, it was voted upon with a vote of 7-5 for the motion (why delegates agreed I do not know). Also when the minutes for the meeting were sent out, the minutes read that the sub branch be formed with full voting rites. Therefore the motion is incorrect and so are the minutes.

What can I do.

Thanks

I'll have to take your word on everything to do with the constitution, since I haven't reviewed that document.

If the motion was adopted in conflict with the constitution, it is null and void. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 343, ll. 14-17. Whether it was adopted in conflict, I cannot say.

Any minutes that are distributed before their approval are DRAFT minutes, and they do not become the official minutes until they are approved. Whatever body is doing the approving should make necessary corrections to ensure that the minutes reflect what was done at the meeting. If the minutes are approved with inaccuracies, a motion can be made to amend them.

Archived