The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of member

Guest Michael

It is my understanding that the removal of a member from the organization requires 2/3rd of the voting body. Therefore putting the decision with the majority rule. What is RROO position on creating a commitee that makes the final desision on member removal with no voting from the body? Is this constitutional?

It is my understanding that the removal of a member from the organization requires 2/3rd of the voting body.

It requires a two-thirds vote, and it also requires a trial, if the offense occurred elsewhere than in a meeting.

Therefore putting the decision with the majority rule.

I don't know what this means.

What is RROO position on creating a commitee that makes the final desision on member removal with no voting from the body? Is this constitutional?

The constitution can include a provision for such a committee, if the assembly so desires and so decides. Such a provision would supersede RONR.

Is this constitutional?

It's "constitutional" if your constitution (or "bylaws" if that's what you call your primary governing document) says it's okay.

If you're referring to the U.S. Constitution (which is what, I think, most people mean when they ask if something is constitutional), you'll have to consult an attorney (though I don't think the U.S. Constitution has much to say about how a private organization expels a member).

Archived