The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of an officer

Guest Lark

The president of our club recently died and, as stated in our by-laws, the vice president assumed the office of the presidency. She is currently acting in a way that is detrimental to the club. We have a means to suspend her membership, but not one to simply remove her from office. Our by-laws state to follow RONR of order on matters not explicitly outlined. I could not find a reference to this type of situation. Rescinding the election is the closest example I can find, but she was not elected to this specific office. What is the best way to proceed?

The president of our club recently died and, as stated in our by-laws, the vice president assumed the office of the presidency. She is currently acting in a way that is detrimental to the club. We have a means to suspend her membership, but not one to simply remove her from office. Our by-laws state to follow RONR of order on matters not explicitly outlined. I could not find a reference to this type of situation. Rescinding the election is the closest example I can find, but she was not elected to this specific office. What is the best way to proceed?

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 653, l. 23 - p. 654, l. 13. The term "regularly elected officer" does not exclude a president who automatically ascended to office from the vice-presidency. The term distinguishes a permanent officer from a temporary one (president pro tem or secretary pro tem, for example).

New problem not covered in RONR:

Treasurer acted inappropriate during the year. Said he would resign in April, confirmed at May meeting he was not going to run again for the board. One week before board votes in June on new members, he rescinds his committment hnot to run for the board and gets a voting block to elect him president. New term starts July 1st. We have not had our first meeting of the new year where he will reside as chairman.

We would like to hold him accountable for his misconduct in his former position. As the new chair, he gets to elect the investigative committee - which would be members of his voting block. Can we have a vote of non-confidence, then proceed to impeach if the vote shows the board has no confidence in his fitness to serve?

New problem not covered in RONR:

Treasurer acted inappropriate during the year. Said he would resign in April, confirmed at May meeting he was not going to run again for the board. One week before board votes in June on new members, he rescinds his committment hnot to run for the board and gets a voting block to elect him president. New term starts July 1st. We have not had our first meeting of the new year where he will reside as chairman.

We would like to hold him accountable for his misconduct in his former position. As the new chair, he gets to elect the investigative committee - which would be members of his voting block. Can we have a vote of non-confidence, then proceed to impeach if the vote shows the board has no confidence in his fitness to serve?

You said the board voted in its own new members in June -- I just want to double check that this is correct (in most organizations we hear about, the general membership elects the members of the board). How exactly does the election of board members work in your organization?

The answer would help determine if the board can do anything at all in terms of disciplining or removing the new president.

Apologize if I posted incorrectly - new at this.

Welcome to the forum.

You might also consider that it's best to ask new questions as new topics (assuming that Member Finch is not the same person as Guest Lark), even if there's an existing topic that seems relevant.

It's also important to be as precise as possible when using terms such as "president" and "chairman". They're not always interchangeable.

Another common mistake (not that you made it) is to be unclear about just which body (the board? the general membership?) is meeting.

Apologize if I posted incorrectly - new at this.

There are nine members of the board, Trina. Each June the nine members elect new members and elect the four officers. This is a private, non-profit community organization.

As far as 'incorrectness', my only recommendation would be to start your own thread (new topic) with a new question. Avoids confusion (Guest_Lark's thread was about something different, albeit related; and she may not have been done with the thread yet).

If the board elects its own members, the board (potentially) may have authority to discipline or remove its members. Have you had a chance to read FAQ #20, and the nearby FAQ #7, as recommended by Mr. Wynn?

You might also consider that it's best to ask new questions as new topics (assuming that Member Finch is not the same person as Guest Lark), even if there's an existing topic that seems relevant.

....my only recommendation would be to start your own thread (new topic) with a new question. Avoids confusion (Guest_Lark's thread was about something different, albeit related; and she may not have been done with the thread yet).

And I'd say it helps to reinforce this line of thinking by not providing any answer beyond these to a piggy-backing question. But that's just me being my usual non-laconic self. Oink. <_<

Archived