The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corrected Minutes

SusannaB

Question 16:

If minutes of a previous meeting are corrected, are the corrections entered in the minutes of the meeting at which the corrections were made?

Answer:

If corrections to minutes are made at the time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval, such corrections are made in the text of the minutes being approved. The minutes of the meeting at which the corrections are made should merely indicate that the minutes were approved “as corrected,” without specifying what the correction was.

If it becomes necessary to correct minutes after they have initially been approved, such correction can be made by means of the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. In this event, since the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted is a main motion, the exact wording of that motion, whether adopted or rejected, should be entered in the minutes of the meeting at which it was considered. [RONR (11th ed.), p. 469, ll. 4-8; p. 475, ll. 18-24; see also p. 151 of RONRIB.]

My question is...once minutes are corrected, should the corrected minutes then be sent out to the members of the BOD? Or are they

just kept on file with the secretary?

Thanks,

My question is...once minutes are corrected, should the corrected minutes then be sent out to the members of the BOD? Or are they just kept on file with the secretary?

Nothing in RONR requires sending the minutes (either before or after they're approved) to the members.

. . . there's no rule against sending them out to the board members.

Assuming we're talking about a board meeting (which may be a reasonable assumption). If it's a meeting of the general membership, the board members shouldn't be the only ones to receive a copy of the minutes (if copies are distributed). I just want to make it clear that board members have no special right to copies of the minutes of general membership meetings.

Archived