The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Members holding two spots on board

Guest Bobbirichs

Hello, I was wondering if a board member can hold two voting positions on a board. Currentally, our Vice-President is the Curator of our House Museum, which are both Board Member positions. I would think that this would be okay, if the Curator position was not a board member position, but since this person is holding two board positions that would not be correct.

Roberts Rules by my knowledge doe snot clear this up for me. If anyone could help me or direct me to the best place to look at in the book, that would be great. Thank you.

Hello, I was wondering if a board member can hold two voting positions on a board. Currentally, our Vice-President is the Curator of our House Museum, which are both Board Member positions. I would think that this would be okay, if the Curator position was not a board member position, but since this person is holding two board positions that would not be correct.

Roberts Rules by my knowledge doe snot clear this up for me. If anyone could help me or direct me to the best place to look at in the book, that would be great. Thank you.

There is no rule in RONR that prevents a person from holding two such positions. However, the individual holding multiple positions only gets one vote. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 407.

Archived