The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabulationof votes when a member declines nomination

Guest WH

Can a members vote, who declines nomination, not be included in the tabulation of the election of a Chair and Vice Chair during the Board's organizational meeting?

Your question isn't clear but I think I can safely say the answer is "no".

Can a members vote, who declines nomination, not be included in the tabulation of the election of a Chair and Vice Chair during the Board's organizational meeting?

Your question isn't clear but I think I can safely say the answer is "no".

I don't feel as safe as Edgar, but I also think the answer is 'no' :) .

My assumption is that what the question reflects is a situation where (for example), A gets 10 votes, B get 13 votes, and C gets 7 votes. A total of 30 votes were cast. If A declines nomination, either ahead of time or after the votes are counted, B is not automatically elected, because 13 is not more than half of 30.

Are you talking about the intentional discard of a single member's vote, ostensibly because he declined to be nominated?

I think the general answer here is that a member cannot be denied the right to vote (and therefore have his/her vote count) unless under some form of disciplinary action, or by virtue of some rule in the bylaws.

So, please come back and make sense of this.

Archived