The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who is the chair after executive session?

Guest Rick

Recently, during board meeting, the chair of our board accepted a motion to go into executive session. While in executive session the chair requested another board member to sit in as chair and then left the meeting without returning. After executive session ended, the board meeting was called to order. Is the chair that was seated during executive session now the chair of the board meeting? Where can I find reference to the appropriate procedure for this situation?

Is the chair that was seated during executive session now the chair of the board meeting?

He would continue chairing the board meeting until the chair returns (or until the vice chair arrived, if the board has one).

I would try to get away from the idea that the executive session is a separate meeting, as this appears to be the source of the confusion. The executive session is simply a portion of the meeting in which the proceedings are secret. Therefore, the Chairman Pro Tempore was chairing the board meeting and will continue to chair the board meeting when the board exits executive session.

Where can I find reference to the appropriate procedure for this situation?

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 452-453; pgs. 95-96.

Recently, during board meeting, the chair of our board accepted a motion to go into executive session.

This is not a decision to be made by the chair. It requires a majority vote or unanimous consent.

While in executive session the chair requested another board member to sit in as chair and then left the meeting without returning. After executive session ended, the board meeting was called to order.

I have to wonder what your concept executive session is.

Is the chair that was seated during executive session now the chair of the board meeting? Where can I find reference to the appropriate procedure for this situation?

It is the same meeting, whether or not it is in executive session, and there is no effect on the temporary chair.

Archived