The Official RONR Q & A Forums

approval of board minutes

Guest mk

I am a newly appointed board secretary of a small non profit society.

At the last board meeting the Chair, who is also President of the Society, stated that she did not like how the minutes were typed and made a motion NOT to approve the previous minutes until they were edited. The motion was carried.

Is the Chair able to determine what is recorded in the minutes? Thank you.

Is the Chair able to determine what is recorded in the minutes?

No. But she didn't. At least not yet. It was the board that adopted the motion (made by the chair). However the motion itself was out of order. If the minutes were incorrect, the chair (or any member) should have offered corrections. Then, after all corrections have been made (and voted on if there's any disagreement), the chair will declare the minutes "approved" (without a motion to do so). Though I suppose it's possible that the needed corrections were so extensive that it would be impractical to make them all at the meeting. In which case I suppose the approval of the minutes could be postponed (by adopting a motion to do so?) to the next meeting. But even in that case there's no need to adopt a motion to not approve them since simply not approving them will accomplish the same thing.

But stay tuned for other opinions about postponing the approval of minutes. I can feel the ice getting thinner.

But stay tuned for other opinions about postponing the approval of minutes. I can feel the ice getting thinner.

By majority vote, the assembly can "dispense with the reading of the minutes." In such a case, if they are not taken up later in the meeting, they are to be read and approved at the next meeting. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 474, ll. 8-18.

(I'm amazed that any of the swimmers in the team relay competitions can even finish the race, given that each has an anchor leg.)

Archived