The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Main Motion

Guest Guest

At last months meeting a motion was properly made and seconded and passed by simple majority to cease paying expenses for members. There are plans at this months meeting to make the opposite main motion to undo last months motion to reinstate paying for the expenses. Is this the proper method or should another motion be used

Is this the proper method or should another motion be used

Assuming there was an even earlier motion that authorized the paying of members' expenses in the first place, it was that motion that should have been rescinded. Then, with the slate wiped clean, any member could make a new motion to (once again) pay the members' expenses.

In any event, the motion you want is the motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted (ASPA). A two-thirds vote will do the trick (along with a couple of other options that someone else with more patience than I will surely point out).

ASPA takes a 2/3 vote, or, if previous notice can be given, just a majority vote if that previous notice has been made (which I think is vaguely preferred), or a majority of the entire membership. Any of the three will do; whichever is easiest, although notice + majority is probably best philosophically.

(Oh, and when posting again, which please do feel welcome to, please try to use a name. Any name. It's hard to tell one Guest_Guest from another. Not that you look alike. But all of you spell "Guest_Guest" the same! It's weird! It freaks me out!)

(I'm goin out to buy some Popeye's. I need ta chill.)

Archived