The Official RONR Q & A Forums

BD is using false inaccurate information to make a decision. How can correct info be properly brought before the BD by a non board member?

Guest Evon Barvinchack

Guest Evon Barvinchack

I am a member of a homeowners group that received State and Federal permits for a project. The current sitting BD is ignoring the written permits and conducting unauthorized acitivies pertaining to this project. How can I, a non BD member, properly present the permitted information to the whole BD.

The new members of the BD have not seen the permits and are being told erroneous information about the permits. Therefore motions are being made for the BD to vote on, based upon false and misleading information.

You as an individual are, from a parliamentary procedure point of view, simply a nonmember of the board, and therefore have no defined rights at all with respect to board meetings.

You can, of course, approach individual board members with the information you have. You can ask for permission to speak at a board meeting... but the board, as a body, has no obligation to give you such permission.

Perhaps the rules (bylaws) of your organization contain some rules describing member rights vis a vis the board? Certainly worth checking...

A meeting of the membership (as opposed to an individual member such as yourself) would typically have authority to give instructions to the board. From the point of view of parliamentary procedure, that would be an avenue to explore -- i.e. can such a membership meeting be convened?

Outside of the arena of parliamentary procedure (which is what this forum focuses on), if permits are involved, presumably there are local authorities who granted those permits, and who would have some interest in the fact that permits are being violated.

Archived