The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Replacing deceased vice president

Guest John Van Cleve

Guest John Van Cleve

Our FOE Bylaws do not state the proper procedure for replacing a vice president who has died in office. (no one automatically assumes the vp position. I suspect that a special election is required and all members must be notified (90 days?) of a special election. There is also the question of nominations, and the timing, for this position. Is this the proper way to procede?

Our FOE Bylaws do not state the proper procedure for replacing a vice president who has died in office. (no one automatically assumes the vp position. I suspect that a special election is required and all members must be notified (90 days?) of a special election. There is also the question of nominations, and the timing, for this position. Is this the proper way to procede?

If the Bylaws are silent on how to fill a vacancy, the position is filled by an election by the same body which elected the position in the first place. Notice must be provided either at the previous meeting or in the call of the meeting. RONR does not prescribe the specific number of days of notice required for the call of the meeting, since what is suitable will vary from organization to organization. Nominations can simply be taken from the floor at the election meeting unless your rules provide otherwise or the assembly orders otherwise. The election should be held as soon as is practical and I believe it would be taken up under general orders (which immediately follows Unfinished Business) unless the assembly orders otherwise.

Archived