The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recall of Board Member Special Meeting Procedure

Guest Rick

Hi all,

What would be the guidance in a HOA Special meeting which was called for the purpose of having a recall vote of each of the board members?

Meeting was originally requested by a petition of the minimum number of names to request that the President call the special meeting. This was rejected as a number of names were disqualified - not sure why, but assume they were for legitimate reasons. Then a motion was made by a board member to call the special meeting and it was seconded by a second board member which met the requirement to have the President call the special meeting.

Other board members then made motions that the board members who made the original motion also be added to the recall vote. So now the whole board is up for recall.

Meeting has been set and proxies have been sent out. I am wondering how the meeting should be operated ... for example should the President (who is up for recall) chair the meeting? How should the meeting proceed? I assume someone likely needs to make a motion to recall the first board member - a second and then a series of debate on the motion ending in a vote on the motion. Then the second and so forth.

My feeling is that the matter has gotten so personal and angry and confrontational that they should look at bringing in a neutral third party to chair the meeting, but independent of that I'd like to at least share some positive suggestions.

Thanks for any thoughts you may wish to share.

Regards,

Rick

Maybe you want to secure the services of a professional parliamentarian to assist with running the meeting. The chair should remain neutral and run the meeting properly regardless people's feelings. RONR pp 651-653 addresses removal of the chair who "culpably fails to perform the duties" of the chair. That might be helpful in your case.

Hi all,

What would be the guidance in a HOA Special meeting which was called for the purpose of having a recall vote of each of the board members?

Meeting was originally requested by a petition of the minimum number of names to request that the President call the special meeting. This was rejected as a number of names were disqualified - not sure why, but assume they were for legitimate reasons. Then a motion was made by a board member to call the special meeting and it was seconded by a second board member which met the requirement to have the President call the special meeting.

Other board members then made motions that the board members who made the original motion also be added to the recall vote. So now the whole board is up for recall.

Meeting has been set and proxies have been sent out. I am wondering how the meeting should be operated ... for example should the President (who is up for recall) chair the meeting? How should the meeting proceed? I assume someone likely needs to make a motion to recall the first board member - a second and then a series of debate on the motion ending in a vote on the motion. Then the second and so forth.

My feeling is that the matter has gotten so personal and angry and confrontational that they should look at bringing in a neutral third party to chair the meeting, but independent of that I'd like to at least share some positive suggestions.

Thanks for any thoughts you may wish to share.

Regards,

Rick

Any member who is the subject of a motion to recall (remove from office) should not preside over that motion. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 451, ll. 29-35.

Archived