The Official RONR Q & A Forums

replacing officers before end of term

Guest catalina

I'm in an organization that uses RONR with some exceptions, one of which is that all decisions are by majority vote except those stipulated by our bylaws to be higher. The body recently elected a chair to a 2 year term. There was some sentiment at the time that the election should be delayed to a better-attended meeting or that the term shorter should be made shorter than 2 years. However, no motion was made.

The question is whether the body can remove the chair and elect someone else at a later meeting (prior to the end of the 2-year term), and if so, what the correct procedure would be for that. Some people are proposing a bylaws amendment to explicitly allow this. I don't think this is necessary, because we already have RONR with a majority voting threshold.

Could someone point me in the right direction for addressing this question?

Thanks,

-Cat.

I'm in an organization that uses RONR with some exceptions, one of which is that all decisions are by majority vote except those stipulated by our bylaws to be higher. The body recently elected a chair to a 2 year term. There was some sentiment at the time that the election should be delayed to a better-attended meeting or that the term shorter should be made shorter than 2 years. However, no motion was made.

The question is whether the body can remove the chair and elect someone else at a later meeting (prior to the end of the 2-year term), and if so, what the correct procedure would be for that. Some people are proposing a bylaws amendment to explicitly allow this. I don't think this is necessary, because we already have RONR with a majority voting threshold.

Could someone point me in the right direction for addressing this question?

Thanks,

-Cat.

Try starting with FAQ #20.

Archived