The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Emergency Meeting of Executives and Voting

Guest Theo

I have a question regarding emergency meetings and voting during executive sessions. I am the Chair of an executive board that represents graduate students at my city's university. Our group's bylaws state that the executive officers include the President, the Vice-President, the Treasurer, the Chair, and the Secretary. In addition, our bylaws state that quorum is reached when three executive officers are present. An important issue has come up that needs to be voted on as soon as possible. However, two of our executive officers (the Vice-President and the Secretary) are currently away on vacation. Currently myself, the President, and the Treasurer have been able to attend meetings. I was wondering if it is proper to let the vote go ahead with the Chair as a voting member (or, failing that, proxy votes via e-mail) from the other executive officers.

I have a question regarding emergency meetings and voting during executive sessions. I am the Chair of an executive board that represents graduate students at my city's university. Our group's bylaws state that the executive officers include the President, the Vice-President, the Treasurer, the Chair, and the Secretary. In addition, our bylaws state that quorum is reached when three executive officers are present. An important issue has come up that needs to be voted on as soon as possible. However, two of our executive officers (the Vice-President and the Secretary) are currently away on vacation. Currently myself, the President, and the Treasurer have been able to attend meetings. I was wondering if it is proper to let the vote go ahead with the Chair as a voting member (or, failing that, proxy votes via e-mail) from the other executive officers.

The former is sufficient; you have three voting members, and that constitutes a quorum. Since this board is so small, you should, unless your bylaws or special rules say otherwise, be using the rules for small boards anyways. This means that you can speak, make motion, and vote regularly at the meeting as can any other member.

Unless your bylaws say otherwise, proxy voting and email votes, or any other form of absentee voting, are expressly forbidden.

Executive officers are not automatically members of an executive board. Do your bylaws mention an executive board and its composition?

If the president is a member, he has the right to vote. However, if, through a rule in your bylaws, the president does not have the right to vote, that right cannot be given to him, except through an amendment to the bylaws.

Archived