The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw Changes

Guest Guest_Rhonda

When bylaws are changed/modified, whose responsibility is it for the membership to get the updated bylaws? The HOA that I belong to is telling me that it is my responsibility to request a copy of the updated bylaws. What if I wasn't in attendance at the annual meeting and didn't know there were changes made to the bylaws?

When bylaws are changed/modified, whose responsibility is it for the membership to get the updated bylaws? The HOA that I belong to is telling me that it is my responsibility to request a copy of the updated bylaws. What if I wasn't in attendance at the annual meeting and didn't know there were changes made to the bylaws?

While RONR recommends that all new members be given a copy of the bylaws (and any other relevant) rules, it's not a requirement, nor is distributing copies of the bylaws every time they're amended (not that that's not a bad idea either). The simple answer is that members are expected to attend meetings but, if miss one, you could ask someone who was there if anything significant took place. Or wait until the minutes are approved and read them.

Your association could also post the bylaws on its website (assuming it has one; doesn't everyone?) or mention it in the newsletter. Or (finally?) you could adopt a rule requiring the secretary send any amendments to the bylaws to all members.

RONR also suggest (pp14-15) that members should familiarize themselves with bylaws if they intend to be active in the group's activities. Bylaws should contain provision for their amendment, and that often includes notice of a proposed amendment. Maybe that was the case here, maybe not. In any event, as the amendment was done at the annual meeting, one would think that meeting is important enough that it should be easy enough to find out what was done there, as Edgar suggests in his first paragraph.

Archived