The Official RONR Q & A Forums

dissolution of association

Guest john grey

if you have an association formed with dues due eah year and after a few years all members drop out excepy for a couple how do you properly dissolve thre association and what is the proper way to disolve any funds the association has left over

You dissolve the association by rescinding the bylaws.

Assuming the association is not incorporated or affected by any special tax status (i.e. tax exemption) or other laws, the remaining members decide what to do with the treasury (e.g. buy beer and have a party). Otherwise, consult an attorney.

You dissolve the association by rescinding the bylaws.

Assuming the association is not incorporated or affected by any special tax status (i.e. tax exemption) or other laws, the remaining members decide what to do with the treasury (e.g. buy beer and have a party). Otherwise, consult an attorney.

Quite a few bylaws I've seen have an article about what to do with the organization's remaining funds in case of dissolution. Wouldn't that article have to be obeyed? Or could the members, technically, rescind the bylaws first, and then have free choice as to what to do with the funds? I don't see how that would work, since the funds belong to the organization, not to the various individual members.

My point is, I think the members should deal with the question of doing something with the assets before they rescind the bylaws.

My point is, I think the members should deal with the question of doing something with the assets before they rescind the bylaws.

Well of course. Once the bylaws are rescinded there are no members. I'm not sure I suggested otherwise.

I suppose the disposition of the treasury could be in the nature of a proviso so that, in the unlikely event that the motion to rescind the bylaws wasn't adopted, the funds would remain intact.

Archived