The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Debbie

When typing minutes do they need to be in the order in which they occured? I typed minutes in order and they were changed to occur in a different order and on different days.

What? You had a meeting spanning multiple days?

When writing minutes for a single meeting, you should do what makes them easiest to read and understand (which is usually, but not always, chronological). If every meeting has a given type of motion come first, and suddenly it doesn't, perhaps it should come first in the minutes anyways so that it's easier to find.

Two of us were taking minutes at the meeting, I sent them to the other person who sent them to the board chair for approval before submitting them to the group for aproval, the board chair changed the order of the minutes

Well, nothing in RONR requires that the secretary submit the draft of the minutes to anyone prior to submitting them at the next meeting for approval. So when you decide which one of the two people taking minutes was the secretary (or secretary pro tem), that person should submit the draft.

May I add a question on the topic of minutes? Is it a requirement that minute books consist of "printed copies" versus an electronic copy on a thumb or hard drive?

Does Robert's Rules govern this or should I look to corporate requirements imposed on a 501© nonprofit?

Is it a requirement that minute books consist of "printed copies" versus an electronic copy on a thumb or hard drive?

RONR still advises that "the" minutes be kept in a "substantial book or binder" (p.468). Certainly backup copies can (and probably should) be kept on other media.

2n7Kta

If Vice-Chairman acted as Chairman due to absence of Chairman, should his signature accompany Chairman and Secretary's on meeting minutes if the meeting minutes are not approved/signed until the following month’s meeting?

On the bottom of p. 471, RONR says that, in addition to the secretary's signing the minutes, the president also can sign them if the assembly wishes. Your guess is as good as mine as to how stringently literal RONR intends the specific word "president." For example, some organizations call their primary officer their commodore -- usually orchid fanciers, biker gangs, and bricklayers' unions. Would RONR think that, not being the "president," the commodore would never sign the minutes?

Archived