The Official RONR Q & A Forums

less than 30% members at annual meeting

Guest Jill

For the second year in a row our homeowner's association annual meeting to not meet the 30% minimum required voters present. The President (the only one on the board) is saying that the annual meeting cannot be rescheduled so he will remain in office until next year. There are a lot of questionable activities going on. How can we work this out without waiting until next year?

How can we work this out without waiting until next year?

If your bylaws provide for "special" (i.e. non-regular) meetings, you can call a special meeting. If not, and if your only regular meeting is the annual meeting, I think you're stuck. What you could have done, at the annual meeting without a quorum, is "adjourn" (i.e. continue) it to a later, more convenient date. But of course it's too late for that once the meeting is over. Next time offer free beer.

A longer term solution might be to amend your bylaws to provide for quarterly regular meetings of the association. That way the longest you'd have to wait is three months. You could also consider reducing the quorum requirement (though of course you'd first need the current quorum in order to do that).

For the second year in a row our homeowner's association annual meeting to not meet the 30% minimum required voters present. The President (the only one on the board) is saying that the annual meeting cannot be rescheduled so he will remain in office until next year. There are a lot of questionable activities going on. How can we work this out without waiting until next year?

Also, the bylaws (or relevant statutes) should be carefully inspected as to the term of office. It may be that the term of office expires at the end of the year and so you have no President.

Archived