The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy vote

Guest Cheryl

At a recent AGM meeting a proxy holder was not given an extra ballot for an acknowledged valid proxy. Can the proxy holder demand a revote?

See FAQ #10, paying particular attention to the last sentence.

You might also want to determine whether that one vote could have made a difference in the outcome.

Had I have been able to use that one proxy vote it would have made a difference. The Board erred in not giving me the extra ballot to start with. That person was then put through a second vote where the rules restricted the use of proxies so therefore the person lost their seat on the board. 2/3rds was required and that one lost proxy vote made the difference. I have appealed the vote but instead of admitting the error of not letting me use the proxy for the first vote, they are going to hold a vote restricting proxies again. I'm at a loss.

Had I have been able to use that one proxy vote it would have made a difference. The Board erred in not giving me the extra ballot to start with. That person was then put through a second vote where the rules restricted the use of proxies so therefore the person lost their seat on the board. 2/3rds was required and that one lost proxy vote made the difference. I have appealed the vote but instead of admitting the error of not letting me use the proxy for the first vote, they are going to hold a vote restricting proxies again. I'm at a loss.

This seems to be governed by the rules of your organization that relate to proxy voting. You will need to closely examine those rules. RONR does not authorize voting by proxy, which must be specifically authorized in your bylaws or higher governing document.

There are no real rules in the constitution other than that proxy voting is allowed towards returning member voting at an election. I presented my proxy but was only given my one ballot and not two. The person I voted for lost by one vote. Losing that first ballot put that person in the new member category where proxies are not allowed. The person lost. I have appealed and so there is going to be a revote but they aren't acknowledging their error in not allowing the proxy for the first vote and are instead doing the same second vote procedure with no proxies allowed. What would you suggest my rights are?

There are no real rules in the constitution other than that proxy voting is allowed towards returning member voting at an election. I presented my proxy but was only given my one ballot and not two. The person I voted for lost by one vote. Losing that first ballot put that person in the new member category where proxies are not allowed. The person lost. I have appealed and so there is going to be a revote but they aren't acknowledging their error in not allowing the proxy for the first vote and are instead doing the same second vote procedure with no proxies allowed. What would you suggest my rights are?

If you think the rules are not being followed, you can raise a Point of Order, which will be ruled on by the chair, subject to appeal. This means that if you don't agree with the ruling of the chair, you can appeal from the decision, and, if the appeal receives a second, the matter is taken from the chair and placed before the assembly for final decision, a majority necessary to overturn the ruling of the chair.

See RONR (11th ed.), sections 23 &24.

Archived