The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President expressing opinion

CarolG

I'm the president of a Civic Association. Is it OK for me to express my opinion on an impending community or political election? I believe that as long I do not do this while I'm presiding I have the same rights as any other citizen.

The rules in RONR concerning the chair's duty to maintain an appearance of impartiality and to refrain from having anything to say on the merits of a pending motion apply to an individual who is presiding. So long as you don't express your opinion from the chair, you're not violating any of those rules.

I believe that as long I do not do this while I'm presiding I have the same rights as any other citizen.

That's true . . . but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. You need to weigh your rights as a citizen against your responsibilities as the president of a civic association.

At the very least you need to make it perfectly clear that your expressing your own opinions and aren't speaking on behalf of the association (which some people might assume anyway).

Archived