The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Extraordinary meeting

Guest Donn Fink

Our group typically has three (3) general membership meetings per season, during which all decisions regarding the group are made. Recently, a sub-group called for and were granted an "extra-ordinary" meeting to ask for special considerations which would affect the entire community.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there such an event as an "extraordinary meeting?"

2. If so, will decisions by a vote by those attending be considered valid?

1. RONR calls these special (or "called") meetings (as opposed to regular meetings). Special meetings are only permitted if the bylaws specifically provide for them (and the bylaws should also specify how, and by whom, special meetings can be called).

2. The only business that can be conducted at special meetings is that which is included in the notice (the "call") of the special meeting.

I suspect it's a collection made up of members of the whole, though smaller than the whole.

I suspect this is an organization that believes that the board or some other such entity controls the meetings of the assembly of the society.

It wasn't so much that I hadn't gathered all this myself. Just hoped Guest_Donn could offer more than suspicions.

Archived