The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of interest

Guest Chris

Hi all -

I am chair of an independant school board. Recently the spouse of a board director submitted a letter on a contentous matter. His letter was strongly in agreement with his wife.

Should the director recuse herself from all discussion of the matter, or just from the response to her husband's letter?

Thanks

Chris

I am chair of an independant school board. Recently the spouse of a board director submitted a letter on a contentous matter. His letter was strongly in agreement with his wife.

Should the director recuse herself from all discussion of the matter, or just from the response to her husband's letter?

So far as RONR is concerned, neither. RONR does provide that in a case where a member has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members, the member should abstain from voting (but cannot be compelled to abstain). This might apply to the response to the letter. I don't know what the other matter is, so I don't know whether it would apply to that as well. Even in such a case, nothing in RONR suggests that the member should "recuse" herself from speaking in debate or being present at the meeting.

It's possible that the school board or applicable law has more stringent rules regarding such situations, but that's beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

Archived