The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session Minutes

Guest Gene

Are minutes required to be taken or recorder in an executive session meeting? Can the Chairman or Secretary just announce that minutes will not be taken in the executive session or is a vote necessary to not take minutes? If minutes are not taken in the executive session, what back up is necessary to support the decision that was made in an executive session when it is brought to a vote for the main minutes?

If minutes are not taken in the executive session, what back up is necessary to support the decision that was made in an executive session when it is brought to a vote for the main minutes?

And just because this got me thinking..... there is no restriction in RONR that motions cannot be made, debated and voted on in Executive Session, all of that being just as valid as if done in Open Session. So, if you're going into Executive Session only for discussion/debate, thinking that you have to come out of it in order to vote, you are incorrect.

Now, perhaps you could provide a few more details, which might bring less generalized answers.

• 3 weeks later...

My mind is a bit twisted on what is said. Here is a situation: The Board of Directors (elected my the general membership) hold a meeting to dissolve or not dissolve the organization. Since there are three members, of the general membership attending this meeting, the Directors go into Executive Session to discuss the situation. When the group returned from the Executive Session, the President announced to the three members, "We have voted to dissolve the organization and there will be no further business. This meeting is adjourned". I am under the impression that what is discussed in Executive Session is suppose to stay within the Executive Session. Isn't what was done here, Out of Order and voids the vote??? Wouldn't the proper thing to have done was once the Directors returned from the Executive Session, the President call for a motion to dissolve the organization, handled the vote and then call for adjournment.

My mind is a bit twisted on what is said.

If you'll re-post your questions as a new topic I think you'll get better results. In the meantime, you might want to verify that your board has the authority to dissolve the organization. It's possible, but unlikely.

See you at the new topic!

Archived