The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powers or "Mission" of board

Guest Tim

How much leeway does a board have to operate.

Our HOA by-laws, in addition to the normal collection of dues and enforcing covenants and by-law rules state that we should maintain the common area. We own our own roads so they could also be considered part of the common area. The builder put in 25 mph speed limit signs but the speed limit is not listed in our rules.

Some want to install speed humps but to me this is a change, not maintenance. We've had 2 votes and a poll that each were more than 2 to 1 against speed humps. Can the board install them under the pretence of controlling the 25 mph speed imit, which really has no legal basis?

What other changes can the board make without approval of the members? We do minor landscaping changes, but that can't be avoided such as when something becomes overgrown or cause damage to other parts of our common area, streets or utilities.

The way I read Roberts rules is that the board can only do what is allowed in Cov. or by-laws. Is there room for other things the board can do such as "improvements"???

How much leeway does a board have to operate.

Our HOA by-laws, in addition to the normal collection of dues and enforcing covenants and by-law rules state that we should maintain the common area. We own our own roads so they could also be considered part of the common area. The builder put in 25 mph speed limit signs but the speed limit is not listed in our rules.

Some want to install speed humps but to me this is a change, not maintenance. We've had 2 votes and a poll that each were more than 2 to 1 against speed humps. Can the board install them under the pretence of controlling the 25 mph speed imit, which really has no legal basis?

What other changes can the board make without approval of the members? We do minor landscaping changes, but that can't be avoided such as when something becomes overgrown or cause damage to other parts of our common area, streets or utilities.

The way I read Roberts rules is that the board can only do what is allowed in Cov. or by-laws. Is there room for other things the board can do such as "improvements"???

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 482, l. 29 - p. 483, l. 13.

Archived