The Official RONR Q & A Forums

in a meeting

Guest catalina

I am part of the student government and constantly there is arguments in the Senate meetings. When the tone of voice get raise constantly either the budget and finance commissioner or the president tend to leave in order to not agree or vote to whatever is being propose on the table. If there still quorum can the votes made been valid or not??

I am part of the student government and constantly there is arguments in the Senate meetings. When the tone of voice get raise constantly either the budget and finance commissioner or the president tend to leave in order to not agree or vote to whatever is being propose on the table. If there still quorum can the votes made been valid or not??

Yes, the votes are valid. The absence of the budget and finance commissioner certainly doesn't affect the assembly's ability to do business. If the President leaves, the Vice President can preside until he returns.

In the long term, you may also be interested in FAQ #20 and RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 650-653.

You might also want to take a look at the rules of decorum in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 391-394. What you've posted doesn't clearly indicate that this is a problem, but it may be worth a look.

Thank you Josh... Also I was wondering that constantly the budget and finance commissioner tends to always leave in the middle of the discussion as I mention before... isn't there a sanction for that type of behavior???

This is why I mentioned FAQ #20.

If you think that removal is too strong, you could adopt a motion to censure him. There's not really a lot of middle ground for disciplining officers.

This is why I mentioned FAQ #20.

If you think that removal is too strong, you could adopt a motion to censure him. There's not really a lot of middle ground for disciplining officers.

I wish I can remove him but his behavior is not enough in order for me to do it. So if you don't mind helping me of how can I present a motion in front of the senate to censure him. Please I'm kind of new on all of these.

I wish I can remove him but his behavior is not enough in order for me to do it. So if you don't mind helping me of how can I present a motion in front of the senate to censure him. Please I'm kind of new on all of these.

A motion to censure can be made just like any other main motion. So during New Business, gain recognition and say, "I move to censure the Budget and Finance Commissioner for..." You can fill in the rest. The motion requires a second, it is debatable and amendable, and it requires a majority vote for adoption.

A motion to censure can be made just like any other main motion. So during New Business, gain recognition and say, "I move to censure the Budget and Finance Commissioner for..." You can fill in the rest. The motion requires a second, it is debatable and amendable, and it requires a majority vote for adoption.

Okay so by securing him that means that he will not be able to vote and perform his duties as budget and finance commissioner?? Or just during the meeting??

Okay so by securing him that means that he will not be able to vote and perform his duties as budget and finance commissioner?? Or just during the meeting??

No, censure just expresses the assembly's disapproval with him. Like I said, there's not a lot of middle ground with disciplining officers.

Archived