The Official RONR Q & A Forums

repeal a vote

Guest Tjedra

As a board member of a local orgnazation we have struggling with proper procedure. Our bylaws state that the Executive Committee shal be the policy making body of the organization and shal act upon all routine issues brought before it by the membership or officers. There were 2 topics that motions were made at an execeutive committee meeting last month and voted on and implemented. 1 month later, the a small portion of the general membership was displeased with the votes. At the general membership meeting, where only approximately 30 of 125 members attended, a motions were made to totally counter act the previously voted on topics. We could not stop this, it was voted on and passed with majority vote at this meeting. I dont believe this is a legitmate vote. It is my understanding in order to overturn a vote of the board, notification needs to be made to the entire membership and given the opportunity to all vote not just the select few at the general membership meeting. How to we correct this action ?

It is my understanding in order to overturn a vote of the board, notification needs to be made to the entire membership and given the opportunity to all vote not just the select few at the general membership meeting.

Not true. See Official Interpretation 2006-13.

(You also seem to be using "board" and "executive committee" interchangeably. Are you referring to one, or two, bodies?)

I believe page 116 line 21 states that previous notice must have been given to rescind a previous motion

A. That citation is from the 10th Edition, since replaced by the current 11th Edition (now p. 122 l. 1)

B. That sentence notes that previous notice is required if the motion to Rescind is to pass with only a majority vote. Otherwise, a 2/3 vote or vote of the entire membership will adopt a motion to Rescind

... Our bylaws state that the Executive Committee shal be the policy making body of the organization and shal act upon all routine issues brought before it by the membership or officers.

I had understood the provisions in RONR quoted above to depend on bylaws in which the "Executive / Board" hold the powers of the society only in between meetings of the society.

Absent some other provision in the bylaws subordinating their Executive, wouldn't the means available to the general membership be limited to (1) replacing the membership of the Executive, who can then rescind the prior Executive's decision, or (2) amending their bylaws?

I had understood the provisions in RONR quoted above to depend on bylaws in which the "Executive / Board" hold the powers of the society only in between meetings of the society.

Absent some other provision in the bylaws subordinating their Executive, wouldn't the means available to the general membership be limited to (1) replacing the membership of the Executive, who can then rescind the prior Executive's decision, or (2) amending their bylaws?

I'm not as confident as you about making such conclusions about the society's Bylaws based only on a brief paraphrase. :)

But yes, as a general rule, if the Bylaws grant the Executive Board exclusive authority over the society's business (or over specific classes of business), the membership is limited to amending the Bylaws or replacing the Executive Board's members.

Archived