The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of board member who violates ethics

Guest Tammy Murphy

A board member agrees and votes in favor of a motion at a board meeting. Within a day or two, that same board member goes out and undermines that vote by representing the opposite of what the board unanimously voted for. This was in pursuit of a personal dream that the board member has but does not make an effort to effectuate a plan to get it accomplished. The board has given him several months to come up with a written plan. Our by-laws state "or until successors are elected and shall qualify" so we shouldn't have to have a full blown Chapter XX trial. Just wondering

1) what's the other option besides a full blown trial? (I don't have a copy of RONR unfortunately) and

2) does violating the ethics of loyalty (and who knows what else) create a different scenario for removal of the board member, i.e. taking it before the membership?

Thanks.

Our by-laws state "or until successors are elected and shall qualify" so we shouldn't have to have a full blown Chapter XX trial.

Correct.

1) what's the other option besides a full blown trial?

See the second paragraph of FAQ #20.

2) does violating the ethics of loyalty (and who knows what else) create a different scenario for removal of the board member, i.e. taking it before the membership?

No. The same body that elected the board member has the authority to remove him, as usual.

Archived