The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amend Something Previously Adopted

Guest factchecker13

Guest factchecker13

I know that we are amending a budget line in a budget that has already been adopted that we would need to follow the rules for the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (§35) in RONR, which would require a 2/3 vote, a majority of the entire membership or, with previous notice, majority vote.

With that being said, can a budget that covers say May 1, 2013-April 30, 2014 be adopted in April 2013 and then revised in June or July 2013 after parts of the budget line items have been executed (i.e. budgeted funds have been spent in some line items)?

With that being said, can a budget that covers say May 1, 2013-April 30, 2014 be adopted in April 2013 and then revised in June or July 2013 after parts of the budget line items have been executed (i.e. budgeted funds have been spent in some line items)?

Yes. The unexecuted part of a motion may be amended, even if other parts of the motion have been executed.

In the context of a budget, this means that you can't "unspend" money that has already been spent, but other than that, there aren't really any limitations on what changes you can make.

Guest factchecker13

Yes. The unexecuted part of a motion may be amended, even if other parts of the motion have been executed.

In the context of a budget, this means that you can't "unspend" money that has already been spent, but other than that, there aren't really any limitations on what changes you can make.

To be sure I understand, if the line item is for $10,000 for a committee's meeting and $3000 of the amount has already been spent, can a motion be made to reallocate the remaining funds, in part or full, within that line item to another line item? Also, once a budget is approved, are there limitations as to what type of changes can be made (i.e. is it ok to add a line item that wasn't in the prior budget?).

Guest factchecker13

Also, would voting have to take place on each line item at a time with a motion to amend previously adopted budget OR can a motion be made to amend the budget and during discussion all items of interest are discussed and then the whole budget is voted on?

To be sure I understand, if the line item is for $10,000 for a committee's meeting and $3000 of the amount has already been spent, can a motion be made to reallocate the remaining funds, in part or full, within that line item to another line item?

Sure.

Also, once a budget is approved, are there limitations as to what type of changes can be made

The only change that I can imagine would be out of order would be to try to "unspend" money that is already spent.

(i.e. is it ok to add a line item that wasn't in the prior budget?).

I see no reason why not.

Also, would voting have to take place on each line item at a time with a motion to amend previously adopted budget OR can a motion be made to amend the budget and during discussion all items of interest are discussed and then the whole budget is voted on?

Either method is acceptable. A member can make a motion to amend a single line item in the budget, in which case it would be debated and voted on alone.

Alternately, a member could move to amend the budget by substituting it with a new budget, incorporating all desired changes. The proposed budget would be subject to debate and amendment and a single vote would be taken on the new budget at the end.

Archived