The Official RONR Q & A Forums

web minutes

Jason H

Our association follows RROO (latest edition) except when the bylaws list exceptions. No special bylaws regarding the association's minutes have been established.

I noticed that there is a section in RROO regarding minutes to be "published." This section establishes a different set of guidelines than the normal procedures set forth for non-published minutes.

Our association has been discussing the possibility of listing our minutes on our web site. Although I'm not sure the motivation behind this (convenience for members to review?) but it seems a little odd that we would want access to our organization's business available to everyone on the planet. There are some activities our association engages in where we seek to defeat an outside interest that we feel will negatively impact our community. It would seem a little counter-productive to me to divulge all of our plans and actions by posting our minutes online.

But, regardless of my personal opinion as to whether posting our minutes is prudent, I was wondering if such a posting would fall within RROO's definition of "publishing" the minutes?

JH

I noticed that there is a section in RROO regarding minutes to be "published." This section establishes a different set of guidelines than the normal procedures set forth for non-published minutes.

Not exactly (at least, not anymore). The section now uses the wording "proceedings" or "transactions" or "transcript" for such a document and clarifies that such a document is separate and distinct from the minutes. "Any such record or transcript of the proceedings prepared for publication, however, does not take the place of the minutes, and it is the minutes which comprise the official record of the assembly's proceedings" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 476). So whatever you do with your minutes, the recommended content for them doesn't change.

Additionally, you're quite correct to refer to the statements in that section as guidelines. An assembly which publishes its proceedings is ultimately in control of what goes in such proceedings, and the language in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 475-476 is not binding. The text notes that such a published record "frequently contains" certain information, which is hardly prescriptive language.

Our association has been discussing the possibility of listing our minutes on our web site. Although I'm not sure the motivation behind this (convenience for members to review?) but it seems a little odd that we would want access to our organization's business available to everyone on the planet. There are some activities our association engages in where we seek to defeat an outside interest that we feel will negatively impact our community. It would seem a little counter-productive to me to divulge all of our plans and actions by posting our minutes online.

Many associations have a "members-only" section of their website which is password protected. That may be a compromise to consider.

But, regardless of my personal opinion as to whether posting our minutes is prudent, I was wondering if such a posting would fall within RROO's definition of "publishing" the minutes?

I don't believe that was the intent of "published" in the 10th edition, but it's really beside the point. The minutes contain the same information regardless of whether they are published, and the assembly ultimately controls the contents of the proceedings, regardless of how or if they are published.

Archived