The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correspondence

Jason H

How is correspondence sent to our associatian handled. Nothing in our bylaws addresses acceptance and/or record keeping of correspondence, but the association does follow RROO (current edition) for all issues not spelled out in the bylaws.

Should the correspondence be read? Examples would include commendations from non-members who utilized our association's services, but also letters received from the general members regarding their dissatisfaction with certain violations of process. We also received a large donation accompanied by a letter of explanation from the donor.

Is their a record made of the receipt of the correspondence? Where? Any reference to the content? I assume correspondence is handled by the secretary, but it seems out of order to include any reference to the correspondence in the minutes.

JH

How is correspondence sent to our associatian handled. Nothing in our bylaws addresses acceptance and/or record keeping of correspondence, but the association does follow RROO (current edition) for all issues not spelled out in the bylaws.

Should the correspondence be read? Examples would include commendations from non-members who utilized our association's services, but also letters received from the general members regarding their dissatisfaction with certain violations of process. We also received a large donation accompanied by a letter of explanation from the donor.

Is their a record made of the receipt of the correspondence? Where? Any reference to the content? I assume correspondence is handled by the secretary, but it seems out of order to include any reference to the correspondence in the minutes.

RONR suggests that correspondence of an official character might be read at a meeting under Reports of Officers and it confirms that correspondence is handled by the Secretary, but that's pretty much all it says on the subject. Other details are at the assembly's discretion.

• 1 month later...

Our by-laws do state that correspondences will be handle by the Secretary, does this mean only she gets a key to the P.O. Box?  No where on the bylaws does it talk about the P.O. Box.  Sorry if this is in the wrong place, this is my first post...

RONR is silent on the topic of who has access to the society's P.O. Box and it seems your bylaws are as well, so I'd say it's at the assembly's discretion.

For future reference, please post a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic seems similar.

Archived