The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board minutes vs general membership minutes

Jason H

I believe I understand the basic process for reading/accepting minutes from a meeting. Our society follows RROO with respect to this issue.

My question relates to the difference between the minutes of our society's board meetings versus the minutes of our society's general membership meetings.

The board meetings are monthly and the general membership meetings are quarterly.

I understand that the minutes from the board meetings are read/corrected/accepted at the following board meeting, and the minutes from the general membership meetings are read/corrected/accepted at the following general membership meeting.

Where can I find the most specific references to this process in RROO? I see on page 473 of the 11th Edition of RROO, "An adjourned meeting of an ordinary society approves the minutes of the meeting that established the adjourned meeting..." I believe this means, to paraphrase with respect to our specific situation, the board approves minutes from board meetings and the general membership approves minutes from general membership meetings.

Apparently (as per the agenda) at the next board meeting, the minutes from the general membership meeting will be discussed (I'd assume, with respect to corrections.)

I was just wondering if there are any other parts of RROO that address this sort of action?

JH

Where can I find the most specific references to this process in RROO? I see on page 473 of the 11th Edition of RROO, "An adjourned meeting of an ordinary society approves the minutes of the meeting that established the adjourned meeting..." I believe this means, to paraphrase with respect to our specific situation, the board approves minutes from board meetings and the general membership approves minutes from general membership meetings.

Well, your conclusion is correct, but it's not the right citation, since these aren't adjourned meetings. An adjourned meeting is a continuation of a meeting, scheduled when the assembly was unable to complete its business and wishes to complete its business before the next regular meeting.

Apparently (as per the agenda) at the next board meeting, the minutes from the general membership meeting will be discussed (I'd assume, with respect to corrections.)

The board has no authority to correct the minutes of the general membership.

I was just wondering if there are any other parts of RROO that address this sort of action?

"When the next regular business session will be held within a quarterly time interval (see pp. 89–90), when the session does not last longer than one day, and when there will be no change or replacement of a portion of the membership before the next session, procedures relative to the reading and approval of minutes are as follows: 

• The minutes of the meeting are normally read and approved at the beginning of the next regular meeting, immediately after the call to order and any opening ceremonies" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 473).

When RONR says "the next regular meeting," you can safely assume that it means the next regular meeting of the same assembly unless the text states otherwise.

Note that even in cases where RONR suggests that the board approve the minutes of the general membership, authorization is required to do so. "When the next regular business session will not be held within a quarterly time interval (see pp. 89–90), and the session does not last longer than one day, or in an organization in which there will be a change or replacement of a portion of the membership, the executive board or a committee appointed for the purpose should be authorized to approve the minutes" (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 474-475).

I see no basis for such an assumption.

It's RONR, not RROO.

Archived