The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absent or present?

Guest Annie

At an HOA board meeting, we had a quorum and made several business decisions based upon motions that were made.  One of the board members showed up 1-1/2 hours late (meeting was adjourned 30 minutes later), and he did not participate in any of the voting.  After his arrival, there was only discussion, plus an announcement was made.  Our minutes state whether a member is present or absent.  Our bylaws do not address this.  Should this member be considered absent or present for the meeting?

Okay, but we might venture to point out that this is a question of interpreting the bylaws, and that some helpful principles of interpretation are in RONR, on p. 588 - 591.

It might be a question of interpreting the bylaws. Based on the facts provided, it's not clear to me whether the society's rules require that the names of those present be recorded in the minutes, or if this information has some other significance in the bylaws (such as an attendance policy), or if this is just the society's custom.

Our bylaws don't address this issue specifically and seeking further interpretation of the bylaws did not yield any more answers.  However, I did learn that only the presence of a chairman and secretary (or substitutes if these are not present) needs to be acknowledged, but not other board members per se.  So, it was a worthwhile exercise for me anyway

Thank you for all your responses.

Archived