The Official RONR Q & A Forums

disciplinary action

pamcelesnik

Our state Breed specialty club is chartered through both  National and State clubs. The Treasurer was  suspended by the National Club  for three years for misappropriation of funds and co mingling of funds of the specialty clubs money   we went through all the appropriate channels set forth by the RNOR . Although the National association set of guidelines the prohibit this person for being on any Board or entering in any contests. which has to be followed by all chartered clubs (including the State association ). The person in question  was an honorary member of the State association, 

Being that she was found to have been guilty of the misappropriation of funds  we feel she should lose the honorary membership permanently as it should be reserved for those people of true  Honor.

The problem being the State Association as no disciplinary action clause in it's C&BL and one was just voted down at  annual meeting for clauses that the membership was not happy with. Any way it does refer to he RNOR  My question is do we have to go through he whole hearing thing again ? 

or can we just remove her as the national club already did everything once      Thank You Pam 

Being that she was found to have been guilty of the misappropriation of funds  we feel she should lose the honorary membership permanently as it should be reserved for those people of true  Honor.

The problem being the State Association as no disciplinary action clause in it's C&BL and one was just voted down at  annual meeting for clauses that the membership was not happy with. Any way it does refer to he RNOR  My question is do we have to go through he whole hearing thing again ? 

or can we just remove her as the national club already did everything once

I think it depends on the nature of the "honorary membership." Often, honorary membership is mainly a title, which does not carry the right to vote or make motions. In such a case, the society can simply rescind the honorary membership unless your bylaws provide otherwise.

On the other hand, if an honorary member is a true member, with all the same rights as other members, it seems to me that formal disciplinary procedures would be required. The fact that the national association has already found the Treasurer guilty of the charges would not change that, in my opinion, although I imagine that some of the steps (such as the investigate committee's investigation) will be quite brief as a result.

the position is a full  Free membership the  National club prohibits her from showing or being on the BOD of any club during suspension and she will not be allowed to return unless she has paid our club back in full plus interest. so we have to let her respond again to the whole thing ?  she hired a lawyer to talk for her and we have to go through the lawyer as she refuses to  respond.                                                                                                                                                                                               . 

Archived