The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ending a special committee

Traveling Bill

At a board meeting earlier this year, a motion was passed to establish a special committee to look at finances and they were given a specific task.  At a board meeting a month later, the board passed a motion and assigned another specific task to the special committee. 

Instead of the committee coming up with the deliverables, the committee chair and a board member developed them.  As far as I can tell, the chair disbanded the special committee prior to giving the deliverables to the board.

If I understand RONR correctly, once a special committee completes it's task, it is disbanded.  Since the committee did not complete the task, should the chair ask the board to disband the committee? 

Is there a process in RONR to hold the chair accountable for violating the boards motion?

If I understand RONR correctly, once a special committee completes it's task, it is disbanded.  Since the committee did not complete the task, should the chair ask the board to disband the committee? 

Yes, I suppose so. If the board still wants the committee to perform the task, perhaps it should refuse to do so.

Is there a process in RONR to hold the chair accountable for violating the boards motion?

Well, if you want to get the motion fulfilled after all, the board could remove him from the committee and replace him with someone who can follow instructions and work as part of a team.

See Section 63 of RONR or any customized disciplinary procedures in your bylaws if the board wants to take more severe disciplinary action.

Archived