The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote to Reconsider Defeated can it be discussed again

cadonn

Hello.  I really need some expert assistance.  Here is the story -

Council decided not to support using electronic/internet voting in the 2014 election.  This came to Committee of the Whole where the motion t was defeated. 

At the next Council meeting, a Council member asked to vote on it again, it was again defeated. 

A community group got involved and a delegation came to the next Committee of Whole and made a presentation and requested that Council reconsider their decision.  A Council member asked to reconsider the motion to allow electronic/internet voting.  He moved it and had a second.  When the chair asked all in favour to reconsider two members were in favour and two members were against - it was defeated.

The motion to reconsider was included as a defeated motion on our consent agenda.  The consent agenda went to the next Council meeting.  A council member pulled it from the consent agenda for discussion. 

MY QUESTION: I believe the motion to reconsider should not have been discussed again at Council as it was defeated.  Is this correct?  The motion to reconsider was defeated therefore there should have been no more discussion.

Thank you.

Cathy

MY QUESTION: I believe the motion to reconsider should not have been discussed again at Council as it was defeated.  Is this correct?  The motion to reconsider was defeated therefore there should have been no more discussion.

The motion to Reconsider was likely out of order to begin with. The motion to Reconsider can only be made during the same meeting as the vote you're reconsidering. At a later meeting, the appropriate tool is to simply make the motion again. It also isn't in order in Committee of the Whole.

Archived