The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of All Board Members

jtc0601

Contact a lawyer.

Why are we sure they have to?

Absent any rules to the contrary, elect new board members the same way you've always elected board members.

Wouldn't this instead (or at least at first) mean checking their rules for filling vacancies?

Why are we sure they have to?

I'm can't say I'm sufficiently appraised of the facts to be certain, but my forays into dealing with corporations up here in Canadia indicate that it's entirely possible they need to get a court involved. If the entire Board has resigned (and if the entire Board is doing it, then it does not really make much difference whether they bothered to formally accept their own resignations, since one can expect them to be unco-operative), then it is sufficiently likely that there are procedural requirements in statue that I am not willing to venture near over the Internet.

Our Entire Board of Directors resigned from our 501©3 recently.  What is the correct way for  new Board to be establish?  It was not a amicable departure.  We have a local, region & state level to our type of 501.  

From a parliamentary perspective, accept the resignations and then follow any vacancy-filling procedures in your bylaws or, if your bylaws are silent, fill the vacancies the same way the positions were filled in the first place. Now, if your bylaws provide that vacancies are filled by the board, then this will become quite a bit more complicated. :)

As Mr. Hunt notes, there may also be procedural requirements in statute for your type of organization, but questions regarding such requirements should be directed to a lawyer.

I'm can't say I'm sufficiently appraised of the facts to be certain, but my forays into dealing with corporations up here in Canadia indicate that it's entirely possible they need to get a court involved. 

There is no evidence that this is a corporation, let alone one in Canada. In fact, its IRS tax status suggests that it's not in Canada.

Archived