The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Failed amendment in committee

Guest27506

I proposed an amendment and it failed in committee by a 2-3 vote. Is it possible to obtain a new vote on the amendment from the committee so that it can then be considered by the full assembly?

Yes. You can make the motion again at the next meeting of the committee, or a member who did not vote on the losing side may move to Reconsider the vote.

I would also note that, unless your rules require that this motion be recommended by the committee, you're also free to make the motion at a meeting of the full assembly.

Yes. You can make the motion again at the next meeting of the committee, or a member who did not vote on the losing side may move to Reconsider the vote.

In our organization, amendments have to go through a Rules Committee and an Executive Council (Executive branch of organization) before being voted on by the entire body. The amendment failed in the Rules Committee, of which I am not a member. Could it be just a matter of resubmitting the amendment for consideration? Also, could a non-voting member move to reconsider the vote? Also, incase I am required to cite it, where would I find all of this in RONR?

Thank you for the help!

In our organization, amendments have to go through a Rules Committee and an Executive Council (Executive branch of organization) before being voted on by the entire body. The amendment failed in the Rules Committee, of which I am not a member. Could it be just a matter of resubmitting the amendment for consideration?

That would work (unless your rules provide otherwise), or someone who is a member of the committee could move to Reconsider the vote.

Also, could a non-voting member move to reconsider the vote?

There's no such thing as a "non-voting member" in RONR, so if your bylaws provide for such a thing, it will be up to the organization to interpret what the rights of such a member are. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Also, incase I am required to cite it, where would I find all of this in RONR?

For information on renewing motions at a later session, see RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 337, 340-342. For reconsideration in committees, see pgs. 329-330.

Archived