The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can we suspend one portion of the Bylaws for an emergency?

Bill G.

Good morning,

I am the current chair of a small Commission (18 folks..all volunteers).  All elected officers by the terms of the Bylaws are limited to a two year term. 

Our Budget Officer position represents the Commission on the County Budget Advisory Committee (CBAC) which makes recommendations on how to spend county funds for programs.

Over the years, this budget process has become very complex and technical.  As a result, the current Budget Officer has spent two years cultivating a very specific skill set to be an effective voice for the Commission on budget issues that affect our group.

Our Executive Committee has determined that it is in the best interest of the Commission to allow the current Budget Officer continue to serve for at least another year while we deliberate on a permanent change of Bylaws.  Our current session ends on July 31 and we only meet monthly. 

The Bylaws are silent on any procedure to address such a situation and we have a very difficult time filling this position as it is.

Is that possible and if it is, how can we go about doing this. 

thanks...

Our Executive Committee has determined that it is in the best interest of the Commission to allow the current Budget Officer continue to serve for at least another year while we deliberate on a permanent change of Bylaws. Our current session ends on July 31 and we only meet monthly.

The Bylaws are silent on any procedure to address such a situation and we have a very difficult time filling this position as it is.

Is that possible and if it is, how can we go about doing this.

No, the bylaws cannot be suspended in this case, although I'm not entirely certain that they need to be.

You say that the bylaws provide that officers "are limited to a two year term." I don't know whether this simply means that members serve for two year terms or if the bylaws actually limit officers to one term. If the former, the member can simply be elected for another two year term. If the latter, the only solution is to amend the bylaws.

Archived