The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postponed motion

Andy

As chair of a committee, I presented a committee motion to the assembly. During debate, the motion was made and approved to Postpone. The reason stated for the postponement was to engage in further discussion with the powers-that-be to satisfactorily complete a plan related to, but not integral to the original main motion. The related plan and the responsibility for making the plan do not come under the committee’s charge.

The committee has not engaged in any discussion with the powers-that-be, nor will it.

The order of business for the next meeting is now: Committee Reports (including my committee) and afterwards Unfinished Business and General Orders. I assume the postponed motion will be taken up during General Orders. Since the motion (which was not amended) came originally from my committee, do I have a role here, or does the meeting Chairman present the postponed motion?

As chair of a committee, I presented a committee motion to the assembly. During debate, the motion was made and approved to Postpone. The reason stated for the postponement was to engage in further discussion with the powers-that-be to satisfactorily complete a plan related to, but not integral to the original main motion. The related plan and the responsibility for making the plan do not come under the committee’s charge.

The committee has not engaged in any discussion with the powers-that-be, nor will it.

The order of business for the next meeting is now: Committee Reports (including my committee) and afterwards Unfinished Business and General Orders. I assume the postponed motion will be taken up during General Orders. Since the motion (which was not amended) came originally from my committee, do I have a role here, or does the meeting Chairman present the postponed motion?

The motion will come up again automatically under general orders. You have no further role in this respect.

Archived