The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Policy Changes

Guest Robert Young

Good afternoon,

I am the Chair of a medium sized not-for-profit organization and there is a motion to alter the policy manual. I can state for a fact that our constitution allows us to alter the policy manual through a Board meeting rather than an AGM, but what is the correct procedure?

1. Is there an amount of time that is generally acceptable for notice of the proposed changes? 
  2. Do the proposed changes need to be distributed in advance of the meeting or is a presentation prior to the vote sufficient?

Our current policy does not specify specifics, so I am left turning to parliamentary procedure with this. I have looked through RRNR (11th), but I was unable to find any direction, so I would appreciate a page number just so I can read up on this after.

Thank you very much. This website is a phenomenal resource. 

Rob

Good afternoon,

I am the Chair of a medium sized not-for-profit organization and there is a motion to alter the policy manual. I can state for a fact that our constitution allows us to alter the policy manual through a Board meeting rather than an AGM, but what is the correct procedure?

1. Is there an amount of time that is generally acceptable for notice of the proposed changes? 
  2. Do the proposed changes need to be distributed in advance of the meeting or is a presentation prior to the vote sufficient?

Our current policy does not specify specifics, so I am left turning to parliamentary procedure with this. I have looked through RRNR (11th), but I was unable to find any direction, so I would appreciate a page number just so I can read up on this after.

Thank you very much. This website is a phenomenal resource. 

Rob

Read Section 35 very carefully. Much depends upon whether or not this "policy" is a special rule of order.

Archived