The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amend a Resolution

Guest tojoboland1

We voted to send a resolution to change our bylaws to the convention for a vote. Is the resolution amenable in its current form, prior to sending it to the convention? It is my understanding that the resolution is am mendable, just wanting to check.

We voted to send a resolution to change our bylaws to the convention for a vote. Is the resolution amenable in its current form, prior to sending it to the convention? It is my understanding that the resolution is am mendable, just wanting to check.

It might help if we knew who "we" was referring to, but yes, it would seem to me that a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted would generally be in order, so long as notice of the resolution has not yet been sent to the members.

The Local Union that I am a member of voted on a resolution to to our Constitution at our Sept. meeting. At the October meeting I wanted to make a motion to the resolution and the Chair told me that it could not be ammended. I told him that it is ammendable and that he needs to check his Roberts Rule Of Order, which he said he would do and I can bring it up at the November meeting. The convention that the membership will vote on this resolution will not be intill July/Aug 2016 

. It is my interpretation of Robert's Rule Of Order that resolutions are ammendable. Am I reading and understanding thic correct?

The Local Union that I am a member of voted on a resolution to to our Constitution at our Sept. meeting. At the October meeting I wanted to make a motion to the resolution and the Chair told me that it could not be ammended. I told him that it is ammendable and that he needs to check his Roberts Rule Of Order, which he said he would do and I can bring it up at the November meeting. The convention that the membership will vote on this resolution will not be intill July/Aug 2016 

. It is my interpretation of Robert's Rule Of Order that resolutions are ammendable. Am I reading and understanding thic correct?

Based upon these facts, it remains my opinion that it is in order for the assembly to amend the proposed amendment to the constitution, provided that notice of this amendment has not yet been sent to the members of the organization.

Archived