The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Withdrawal of self-nomination to an election

Guest Peter

Assume a board election with a deadline for submission of nominations.  Most nominations are self-nominations.  If someone self-nominates, then sees the complement of candidates, and withdraws their nomination after the deadline has passed, should they be allowed to re-enter the election since their original application was submitted in a timely fashion?

Assume a board election with a deadline for submission of nominations.  Most nominations are self-nominations.  If someone self-nominates, then sees the complement of candidates, and withdraws their nomination after the deadline has passed, should they be allowed to re-enter the election since their original application was submitted in a timely fashion?

I do not think that the member can re-nominate himself if the deadline for nominations has passed, but votes for the member are still valid, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. So the member may need to run a write-in campaign now. I don't think it matters that the original application was submitted in a timely fashion, since that application was withdrawn.

Is there any such thing as "withdrawing a nomination" under RONR?

It is discussed in the context of a nomination made by the nominating committee. RONR provides that if a nominee withdraws, the nominating committee reconvenes to select a new nominee if there is time to do so.

It is not discussed in other contexts, and whether other nominees may withdraw is the subject of endless debate on this forum, but it seems to me that if the member nominated himself, as is the case here, then it is certainly in order to withdraw his nomination.

Archived